Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Galicia goes bilingual

Here in Galicia it is quite normal to see our matrix motorway signs in two languages, but usually they would be alternating between Spanish and Galician.

Yesterday, for the first time since I arrived here in Galicia I noticed an overhead gantry, not only written in English, but with a very polite request too - "Respect speed limits please". I can't ever remember seeing a sign in England saying please, it would probably be more likely to say "Respect speed limits or else hand over your cash!"

Although we are still in August (technically the peak of the holiday season), we still do not welcome too many British visitors to our remote corner of Spain, which is really what makes this latest development so unexpected.

Perhaps as this sign is on my daily route between the Bodega and our home, it has been introduced purely for my benefit - not that you would ever find me speeding, honestly officer.....

No comments:

Post a Comment