Saturday, July 05, 2008

My little wine oasis

There is no doubt that Spain produces some great wines, and is probably one of the most exciting countries in the world when it comes to the development and discovery of new wines and wine regions.
However, local restaurants here in Galicia do not always have an extensive choice on their wine lists, and usually restrict their selection to Galician wines, plus a selection of 'safe bet' wines from the better known denominations of Spain. Certainly this limited range will suffice for the palate of many a local wine consumer, but for the more adventurous among us, it is, well, just a little bit predictable and boring!

Apart from the odd bottle of Champagne here and there, it is very rare to find any overseas wine at all, from either the new world or even adjacent countries in the old world. (I do of course have a few bottles of my own secreted away in my private cellar, but this does not help me very much when I'm sitting in a local restaurant).

Pepe Vieira to the rescue! My favourite local restaurant not only boasts the great cooking of chef Xose Cannas, but in his brother Xoan, they also have one of the best sommeliers, not only in Galicia, but possibly the whole of Spain. On top of that Xoan speaks perfect English which makes it considerably easier for us to discuss our favourite wine selections.

Their wine list includes an extensive choice from every part of Spain, as you would expect, but then continue turning the pages and you will find a hand-picked collection of wines from Burgundy, Bordeaux, the Loire, the Rhone and Champagne. In addition there is also a small selection of fine New World wines.

Like I said - my own personal food and wine oasis......

No comments:

Post a Comment